Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Splurge

The other day I did something that isn't unusual for me; but unless something big changes, can't really afford to do too often.
I walked into best buy, sure that I was going to buy something, but exactly sure what that something was. The first thing I picked up was Hatebreed's new live DVD "Live Dominance". I'm a big Hatebreed fan and got real excited by the preview video when it came out a couple of months ago. On the other end of the musical spectrum I picked up Mika's CD "Life In Cartoon Motion". I had read good things about it online, had heard good things about him from a friend and had liked the one song of his that I had heard "Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)".
Hatebreed is Hatebreed and since it wasn't a new disc there was only so much I was surprised by. The concert footage was pretty cool, and for 12 bucks, I'm okay with it.
"Life In Cartoon Motion" certainly fits its name, and is filled with fun and upbeat pop music. I haven't made it all the way through yet, but I'm sure there are going to be some songs on there that make it on to my "firday" and "summer" playlists.
After a couple more hours of working at the store, I took off again, heading to the DMV to try and get a new license (mine's beat to shit). On the way there I passed the local record store "Fantasy" which I usually avoid on principle. It's not that I dont support small record stores, just that I hate feeling like I'm under a microscope and being examined by the staff the whole time I'm shopping. Eventually I got to the DMV and decided that the parking lot was way to full for me to attempt to brave the crowd. I turned around and headed back home with full intentions to stop by Fantasy and try and find two cd's that I had been looking for that had been eluding me for a while.
I emerged victorious; clutching the Deluxe edition of Mutiny! by Set Your Goals and Cult Fiction by Spitfire. Both of the these CD's came out a while ago (Set Your Goals in 2006) but both of them had been particularly difficult to find due to the more obscure nature of the bands. What made it even better was that I got the last two copies of each disc.
I'll update soon with reviews of both the Set Your Goal's and Spitfire CD's. I expected good things and I got great things from both of them.

No comments: