Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The new Helter Skelter

I'm currently painting the guestroom in Mom and Dad's house in order to maintain my free rent status. Naturally I have a 12 pack of beer and my speakers and Ipod set up in the room with me to keep me inspired/company. For this particular task I decided to set it to shuffle, which (as usual) has given me a compendium of non-sequitur tunes. As the speakers went silent and then started humming with "Helter Skelter" by The Beatles, I thought nothing of it till I listened a little harder.
It's been a while since I went on my White Album kick, and I started hearing things that might not have appeared to me when I was listening to it in high school. Listening to everything from the composition, to they they played the notes, and the discordant nature of the whole song, I couldn't help but be reminded of Norma Jean.
I know what your thinking. What the fuck, seriously? Norma Jean and The Beatles? Yes in fact, Norma Jean and The Beatles.
While I was listening to "Helter Skelter" the voices of everyone I know who I've talked about music to who is over 40 kept ringing in my ears "The Beatles and Led Zeppelin were the heavy metal of those days." came at me full force, as I realized that The Beatles really did take a genre that they helped to invent, and kick it in the teeth, and in the process push the first domino that resulted in some of my favorite music.
What we have exactly 40 years later (I'm thinking about the new Norma Jean album The Anti-Mother most with these statements) is music that is "hardcore" or "metalcore" that can through a convoluted but visible trail be traced back to The Beatles.
I couldn't help but laugh and be excited at this revelation that I had. I Thought it might be useful to share it with you all.

No comments: