Friday, September 26, 2008

American Psycho

So I'm watching American Psycho right now, and I'm just at the part where he's in his place with the two hookers. Besides marvelling in Patrick Bateman's (Christian Bale's) lush and sophisticated musical reviews, I realized something else while watching that scene...I'm afraid that I like Phil Collins...
Normally finding out about a musician or new music through a movie would be a good thing, yet I have tried to resist all affinity for Phil Collins due to my preference and admiration for the true genesis/solo master of the 80's: Peter Gabriel.
I've somehow worked it out in my head that I can't like Phil Collins if I like Peter Gabriel. Just like I would question the devotion of Van Halen fan who liked Sammy Hagar more than David Lee Roth, there is something about liking the replacement more that the original that just doesn't feel right to me.
However there have been certain replacements who have done fine, Cove Reber with Saosin or Daniel Rinaldi with Bedlight For Blue Eyes.

Help Me...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yo, read the book, it`s beyond fucked up.

And the music explanations are hilarious and longwinded.

Successfully commenting,
Rothgeb