Monday, September 1, 2008

The Brooklyn Boy

Jessie and I went to a show at "The Boot" in Norfolk last night. I had been there the night before to see a pretty sweet western band called Spindrift who put on a great show. They recorded the soundtrack for a very spaghetti western movie called "The Legend of God's Gun". The music was really cool and befitting of a western movie.
Anyway, I was in the bathroom looking at the list of shows when I saw the name Kevin Devine. I had read his name a lot on AP and knew that he and Jessie Lacey were good buds and blah, blah, blah, but I had never really listened to his stuff. The poster noted that he was opening for a guy named Matt Pryor (whose face greeted me as I opened the AP that I got yesterday afternoon) who is also the lead singer of The New Amsterdams and (get this) used to be the lead singer of The Get Up Kids. In the excitement of discovering that this show would be taking place the next night, I called Jessie who agreed to go with me.
I checked out Matt Pryor's myspace page and listened to "Confidence Man" (strongly recommended) and was pleased with what I heard. I neglected to check out Kevin Devine's myspace page (link in the title of the post) but felt confident that I would enjoy his music anyway; and boy did I...
Though Devine played before Matt Pryor, he almost undoubtedly stole the show (a difficult feat considering how good Pryor was). Devine brought excitement and energy to an all acoustic show like few people can do. Everything about his performance- from his crowd interaction (humorous, polite, considerate) and his playing of requested songs -to the way that he poured himself into the songs, was amazing.
I could continue to throw a bunch of adjectives his way, but will refrain and simply say that I am now a huge fan of Kevin Devine. Check out his myspace, buy a CD, and by all means catch him live if you can.

No comments: